I’m back in New Orleans! Woo! A bunch of stuff has happened between covering Pitchfork and now. Let me get you up to speed:
- I covered Outside Lands alongside igetwet for the San Francisco Appeal.
- I also wrote some rad features for the San Francisco Appeal: Andrew Jackson Jihad, GRMLN, RX Bandits, the International Pop Overthrow Festival, Dev, Bombino.
- More importantly, I covered Paul McCartney’s epic Candlestick show that closed out the stadium. RIP to the ‘Stick!
- I wrote up my last few album reviews for the wonderful mxdwn. Do keep reading them because they’re freakin’ awesome and will always have my heart. (love ya, Ray!) Without further ado: The Black Angels, Sheila Brody, Literature.
- My list of famous MLB announcers and their catchphrases came out on Sports Illustrated’s Extra Mustard, along with a comprehensive list of American League traditions.
- After a two week-long trial run over at Curbed NOLA, I’m happy to announce that I’m officially their part-time editor. Woohoo!
Right now I’m descending down a Pastamania rabbit hole, researching and writing about professional athletes and their ridiculous restaurant ventures. Got a favorite? Hit me up.
Happy Outside Lands y’all! This should give a pretty accurate representation of who I’m seeing this weekend. For a detailed list of recommendations, check out my article via SFAppeal (as well as my OSL meal plan) & be on the lookout for live coverage from myself & igetwet on twitter via @SFAppealOL / sfappeal.com
Holy hyphens, Batman! I’ve been busy. My festival schedule has been fairly steady, with the next big thing being Outside Lands. All weekend long August 8th-10th I’ll be live-tweeting with igetwet over at @SFAppealOL and providing daily write-ups and photos along with a list of must-sees and must-eats/drinks a week before the festival. Hopefully I can dig up some goofy missed connections afterwards as well. In the meantime, here’s what I’ve been up to since the last lengthy round-up:
I’m going on a fairly large-scale road trip with my guy and will be writing/photo-ing that experience on the blog. Other than that, I’m working on a list of best play-by-play announcers so if you’re a baseball fan & you’ve got some warm fuzzies about, say, Vin Scully and Harry Caray, get at me. Expect more album reviews, interviews, and features as well!
I am also forever seeking tech, music, health, and general news tips. Curious about a topic? Email me and I may very well enlighten you.
Plz + thx!
Checking out a new (for me) festival this weekend :] here’s a nifty playlist of everyone I’m catching at this year’s Pitchfork Music Festival. Hopefully see y’all in Chicago!
I’ve done a lot of shit lately. I was in and out of town almost every week of June and now that I’m back from my most recent trip to Austin, I’ve got a solid two weeks before I’m out of town again, this time for Pitchfork Music Festival. Here’s what I’ve been up to since, like, a month ago:
- I’m now the San Francisco Appeal’s Morning Managing Editor! I still write though; rad features right here: Rocky Votolato, Electric Six, Metronomy, TIMF Announcement!
- More rad album reviews via mxdwn: Archie Bronson Outfit, moe., Peter Murphy, Umphrey’s McGee
- I took photos at Bonnaroo & wrote about the death of music journalism (damn you, Kanye!)
- I ranted about how contradictory Olay’s Festival Fresh Campaign is on Antiquiet & also didn’t shower at all at Bonnaroo. Mission accomplished!
- I took photos of Accessible Comedy’s own Comedy Feud & apparently won the hearts of many comedians with a shot of Matt Brown acting a fool.
- Three articles with Louisiana Weekly all about our green jobs, the Gatorade Louisiana Girls Soccer Player of the Year, & an additional Delgado campus
- My potentially last piece with the Lens’ Charter School Reporting Corps, as the project is officially on hiatus. Donate here to help change that.
- Another feature with the Daily Beast, this time about TV Doctors.
I’ve got so much shit on the horizon in the immediate future, too. Look for me in the upcoming summer issue of Wag’s Revue, in the July 9th edition of the East Bay Express, imminently (again) on the Daily Beast, & Sports Illustrated’s Extra Mustard, in addition to the usual awesomeness. I’m also entering Glimmer Train's short story contest tonight, so hopefully you can catch me in that as well.